Established in 1966 as the successor to the Navy’s Bureau of Naval Weapons, the Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) is headquartered in Patuxent River, Md., with military and civilian personnel stationed at eight locations across the continental United States and one site overseas.
NAVAIR's mission is to provide full life-cycle support of naval aviation aircraft, weapons and systems operated by Sailors and Marines. This support includes research, design, development and systems engineering; acquisition; test and evaluation; training facilities and equipment; repair and modification; and in-service engineering and logistics support.
NAVAIR is organized into eight "competencies" or communities of practice including: program management, contracts, research and engineering, test and evaluation, logistics and industrial operations, corporate operations, comptroller and counsel. NAVAIR provides support (people, processes, tools, training, mission facilities, and core technologies ) to Naval Aviation Program Executive Officers (PEOs) and their assigned program managers, who are responsible for meeting the cost, schedule, and performance requirements of their assigned programs.
NAVAIR's affiliated PEOs are:
- PEO for Tactical Aircraft Programs, PEO(T)
- PEO for Air ASW, Assault and Special Mission Programs, PEO(A)
- PEO for Unmanned Aviation and Strike Weapons, PEO(U&W), and
- PEO for Joint Strike Fighter, PEO(JSF), (which alternates service lead with the U.S. Air Force)
NAVAIR is the principal provider for the Naval Aviation Enterprise (NAE), while contributing to every Warfare enterprise in the interest of national security. We embrace the privilege of our responsibility to the Sailor and Marine in partnership with industry, all Naval Aviation stakeholders, and our fellow Systems Commands.
Sailors and Marines Armed with Confidence…
Because we develop, deliver, and sustain aircraft, weapons, and systems – on time, on cost, with proven capability and reliability –
so they succeed in every mission and return safely home.
- NAVAIR Commander's Guidance
- NAVAIR Commander's Intent
- NAVAIR Energy Strategy
- NAVAIR Long Range Strategy
NAVAIR Focus Areas
- Increase Speed to the Fleet through program of record planning and execution, and rapid response to urgent warfighter needs;
- Consistently Deliver Integrated & Interoperable Warfighting Capabilities (platforms, sensors and weapons operating seamlessly in a systems of systems environment) that produce an immediate and sustainable increase in warfighting effectiveness; and
- Improve Affordability by reducing operating and sustainment costs for fielded systems and implementing life-cycle cost reduction initiatives as part of new systems development.
NAVAIR Energy Strategy (1 mb)